Thursday, December 31, 2009

Dear Laina (5 Months)

Dear Laina,

Happy 5 month birthday! Wow, you are getting to be such a big girl. In fact, I've started to remind you about all the things that "big girls" do and do not do. For instance, I say things like...Big girls don't cry...or...Big girls eat rice cereal...or...Big girls hold their own bottles.

Speaking of big girl activities, you have developed quite an interest in "helping" with various tasks. You do a good job of holding your own bottle, although the fatter or fuller bottles present more of a challenge. But you are up for a challenge, my dear! You also want to help with administering medicines, such as gas drops and baby tylenol. You try to hold the dropper and squeeze the liquid in your mouth. Unfortunately, though, mommy must micromanage this job because medicines are a big responsibility. I sometimes let you suck on the dropper after you've swallowed the medicine, but that's as far as it goes. I think you are going to be my little helper one day. Have I mentioned I'm so proud of your independence?


If I could pick just one word to describe you in your fourth month of life, it would be: CURIOUS!

You want to be involved in EVERYTHING and you are a curious cat. We have nicknamed you "Nosy Rosie" because you must know what everyone is doing at all times. The best example of this is when you are eating. If there is a strange noise or heaven forbid a voice, especially daddy's voice, you dramatically stop what you're doing to find where the noise is coming from. You have been known to give me odd stares and annoyed looks if I'm the one making the noise.

You also want to TOUCH everything. Nothing is off limits - hair, glasses, noses, tissue paper, big people food or even cat tails! Just as you are checking out the cats, they are checking out you. Daisy is jealous of you and mostly gives you the cold shoulder. But Baloo (aka "Boo") flirts with you and freely offers his fur for you to pet or even grab. Mommy supervises of course.


Your precious laugh is the best thing I've ever heard. And this mommy has heard a lot of things. There is nothing on earth like my Laney's laugh. Daddy can make you laugh the hardest and the most. Poppy & Pops are tied for second place. And mommy is somewhere in the runnings too. I really don't care who makes you laugh, I just love to hear it! Your sweet grin is also something I look forward to each and every day.


The highlight of my day is giving you a bath. This is your "spa" time and you are happy as a peach when you are soaking in your bubble bath. I fill the tub full of bubbles and pamper you every night. No wonder you love it so! You also get mani's & pedi's on a regular basis, usually weekly. One day we will add polish to this occasion!


You are my little roly poly and are semi-liking tummy time now. I really don't enforce scheduled tummy time any more because you seem to find 20 minutes or so each day on your own to flip over.


You have found your toes and they act as one of your favorite toys! We call them "stinky toes" because when you put them in your mouth, you turn your nose up and sometimes gag from the taste/smell. I promise I wash them well every day, so don't blame me for your stinky toes!


We just started you on rice cereal after a couple of failed attempts. I put a tbsp in your nightly 6 oz. bottle of formula right before bed time. You were unsure of it at first, but now that the newness has faded, you are A-OK with it! In your fourth month, you were sleeping 9-10 hours at night, but with the rice cereal you're able to go about 10-11 hours. Little sleepy head, just like mommy. Oh, and your approximate measurements are 13 lbs and 22 inches long! By the way, where did these thunder thighs come from???


Oh my gosh, I could go on and on forever about all the things I love about you and about how much joy you bring to my life. But I'll save some for later, sweet Laney Bug.

Love,
Mommy

P.S. On a sad note, you are cutting teeth as evidenced by excessive drooling, knawing, fussiness and pain in your gum area. Poor girl. I can't see anything popping up yet, but your teethies are coming, I promise!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Awww... we miss her. I just want to eat her up. I hope those teeth stop hurting her soon.

Becky said...

Alaina is such a sweetheart! You know everything she does is absolutely amazing! :) It was great seeing you all at Christmas! Love You!

Aunt Becky