Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Pay Day

Most of the time, being a full-time mommy is a thankless job. There are no accolades for doing a good job. Nobody's around to say, "Nice going" or "Great job" or even "Keep up the good work" throughout the day. No one notices the little things that make all the difference.

The hours are round the clock, and the job requires loads of patience, creativity and devotion. Most days are the same, yet you never quite know what to expect from day to day. My time and energy are selflessly given to my child. Her needs far outweigh mine. I can't always do what I want or need to do, eat when I want to eat or even pee when I need to pee!

Although my job rewards no monetary compensation, brilliantly I never skip a pay day. My pay days just come in different forms. A pay day to a mommy is seeing firsthand the fruits of your labor.


~ Like when I realize that I am Alaina's teacher.

I have taught her how to do many things, one of which is learning new words. She studies my mouth and my voice, we practice over and over, and suddenly she gets it! I talk to her all day long, about what I'm doing or about things we've done. She listens to me and she understands me.


~ Or when I understand how much of an influence I am to her.

A child's same-sex parent is the single most important role model for that child. This would be me to Alaina. And it is true. I watch her mimic me, the way I say certain words, my expressions, the way I do certain things. She tries to be like me. She wants to do everything I do. Be everywhere I am. She is my little shadow.


~ Or when she comes to me first for comfort.

Alaina knows me. She is comfortable with me. She is secure with me. I am with her all day long. I am always here for her, always available to help her. And she knows it. When she's scared, she runs to mama. When she's hurt, she cries to mama. When she wants to be rocked to sleep...mama. Mama, mama, mama! I thought for sure she'd be sick of me at some point, but so far, mama it is :)


~ Or when I get the best form of payment a mama could ask for...hugs and kisses.

Alaina gives the best hugs. Hands down. I will be minding my own business when she will randomly feel the need to go to me and wrap her tiny arms around my neck and squeeze me so tight. If this doesn't melt your heart, nothing will.


This morning, I was rocking Alaina before her morning nap, and she suddenly sat up from being cradled in my arms - just to get right in my face to give me a kiss on the lips. After the kiss, she layed right back down.

I can't think of a better kind of pay day. A day overflowing with love. Unconditional love :)


"Being a full-time mother is one of the highest-salaried jobs...since the payment is pure love."
-Mildred B. Vermont

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great post sarah.