So - I seem to be facing a moral dilemma of sorts. I'd like to tell you the little tale of my evening and get your advice or opinion of what I should do...
Tonight Adam, Alaina & I made a trip to the "baby store," aka Babies R Us. We shopped for quite a while and ended up with about 10 items in our cart. While checking out, I of course plopped all my items on the counter. Then my attention went to my pit of a purse in a desperate attempt to locate my coupons, money, etc. (This is always an adventure, I might add!) The cashier gave me my total and I paid, the receipt was handed to me, etc. I noticed a few little items weren't in a bag. The cashier asked me if the items were mine too, and I said, "Yes they're mine. Did you scan them?" He said, "Yeah, yeah, yeah" and placed them into another bag and handed it to me. Then out the door we were.
On our way home, I glanced at the receipt and started running through the items to check out all the great deals I got. But nowhere on the receipt were the hair bows and pant set (roughly $15 worth).
Dang it! Why did I have to notice then? I'd rather have noticed at the store or not at all! Now my conscience is alive with all these thoughts...
First of all, I would never knowingly leave a store without paying for an item (or 3). It really was the cashier's fault for not paying attention, ESPECIALLY since I specifically asked him if he scanned my items. Plus, it's a 20 minute drive back to the store each way! Adam seems to think the cashier could get in trouble if I rat him out. Then would I have that on my conscience? But now I'm sitting at home with my "free" goods, wondering if everytime I see Alaina with those cute little hair bows or those sassy little pants IF I'll think of this glorious occasion.
Ugh. Do I go back and try to pay for these items? Do I call the store to explain? Do I forget it and move on?
What would you do???
4 comments:
Forget it and move on!
Forget it. You tried to do the right thing by asking him. Consider it a happy accident.
hmmm....tough call. I say just keep the contraband and enjoy it - ha! Just make sure it doesn't become a habit....I will definitely reference this blog post if I see you on Oprah one day as a recovering compulsive shoplifter.
The better question is, "What Would Jesus Do?" Haha, completely kidding!! Don't worry about it -- it was an honest mistake. :)
-Hannah
Post a Comment