Monday, July 20, 2009

(Almost) 36 Week Update

So I'm technically 35 weeks & 5 days, but I went in for my "36" week checkup today. LOTS to report, as usual. I'm wondering what drama I can cook up once the pregnancy is over. It will be hard to top my pregnancy roller coaster! However, I'm SURE I can think of something :)

Baby's heartbeat: 160's (highest it's ever been - guess she was hyper this morning)
Mommy's weight gain: 2 lbs in 2 weeks (32 lbs total)
Mommy's blood pressure: hmmm...they didn't tell me, so I assume it's fine
Fundal height: 36 cm (right on track)

More on the platelet count issue...
Dr. Parker reviewed the extensive notes on file for me, including the notes from the hematologist. She agreed that the hematologist is only concerned with a life or death situation, not any epidural concerns. SO - she said I will be giving blood on a weekly basis now so we can keep an eye on the count. She also discussed the strong possibility of inducing labor in the coming weeks based on the most recent platelet count. A little confusing, but as I understand, here are my choices...

1. Schedule induction if the count is at a comfortable level.
If the lab results prove that my count is over 100, we can schedule an induction right away to insure an epidural will be possible. Timing is everything, so essentially we would schedule an induction before my platelets have a chance to drop again. This would only be done between 38.5 & 39.5 weeks (around the week of August 10).

2. Schedule induction if the count is low with steriod treatment.
If the lab results come back with a count less than 100, we could administer steriod treatment and wait for it to kick in. The treatment is designed to work approximately 9-12 days after the shot is given. We would schedule an induction within this window, basically a week & a half after the treatment. Then I would be going through labor while the treatment is in it's full effect, hopefully raising the count so an epidural is possible.

3. Do nothing & let nature play out.
This means no medical intervention of any kind. No steroid treatment, no induced labor. If I do not mind the possibility of not having an epidural, then I can choose to not have any intervention and let things happen naturally. When I go into labor on my own, the count could be low or high at that time, so an epidural could or could not be an option. This would be a gamble, but a less involved process.

SO - LOTS to think about over the next week. I will get my lab results back within the next couple/few days, so we will have more information to make our decision. Adam & I are considering the pros/cons of each situation and trying to decide what's best. These are a few things that have crossed our minds...

Pros of Induction:
-Better planning & coordination for us and our families
-Best chance of having an epidural
-The baby will be here early!

Cons of Induction:
-Lack of excitement & surprise of going into labor (we were really looking forward to making those calls when no one was expecting it that Baby Emmett was on her way!)
-More of an involved process, especially if steriods are given

Although we will be making the ultimate decision with the guidance of our doctor, I would love to gather some other opinions. I just want to be sure we've thought everything through. So if you have any advise to share, let me know!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I was induced, but not because of a platelet issue nor do I need special medical care, so it's different. I'm not quite sure why I was induced. Frankly, I think it was pity because of waaay too much drama from my OB office at the end of my pregnancy to get into here. Feel free to call if you want to hear it! It'll make you feel better about your hematologist drama.

I was actually relieved about not having to figure out when to go to the hospital or find John, etc. My only worry with my induction was whether Ashlyn was "ready." Depending on which doctor you believe, she was induced at either 39 weeks or 40 weeks.

She did have a problem with her lungs and spent 3 days in the NICU, but I'm told that has nothing to do with the induction or how "ready" she was. Just a freak thing that sometime happen.

It's totally up to you two and your doctor, but I just wanted to let you know I had a positive experience with induction. If we are blessed with a second child, I'd actually want to be induced again.

Sarah said...

Thanks, Amy, for sharing your induction experience!