I didn't expect this day to come so soon, but it did. Today was my last day at work. This came as a surprise to everyone, include me, after some news from the doc last week. Basically, my blood platelet count is lower than it has ever been throughout the pregnancy. And since it's had a tendancy to drop over the last month, we can only expect it to drop more, without treatment that is. Not good news for a mommy who will be facing birth in the coming weeks. As I've mentioned before, the risks during labor/delivery include hemoraging because my blood doesn't clot properly and/or not being able to have an epidural. But thankfully, this is just a mommy problem, not a baby problem. Baby Emmett seems to be doing just fine.
So, tomorrow I plan to start steriod treatments. Adam is escorting me to the hematologist tomorrow afternoon at 2:30pm. I have no idea what to expect. Will I get shots, pills? How often will I need to be checked? Side effects? All questions that are pulsating through my head. A lot will be answered tomorrow. Please keep us in your thoughts & prayers as we continue on.
Anyway, I've been advised to get lots of rest, reduce my stress level and create the best possible environment in which to get well during my treatment. Working full time just does not fit in with this plan. But silly me truly considered trying to manage it all like I have been, even while going through treatment. That plan was shot dead as soon as I mentioned it to my family. They would not let me do this. Looking back, what was I thinking? I guess I was trying to be independent and self-sufficient, and I didn't want to burden anyone with my absense. My absense at work, my absense around the house, etc. Somehow in my fog I failed to remember little ol' me and Little Miss Emmett. Luckily, there are sane people keeping me in line. Have I mentioned lately that I can be a little stubborn!?!
My last day was bittersweet. I am sad to leave my friends at work behind, but I am relieved to not have so much on my plate. I suppose now I have a new job title...full-time mommy :)
2 comments:
Take it easy. We're thinking of you!
Do what's best for your sweet little family! How nice to have that "work" weight lifted off your shoulders! I'm thinking about you.
Post a Comment