Our doctor's visit today was a bit terrifying, for me that is. First let me say that today was the day when I had to get my blood drawn for the 1st time, and I've been dreading it. I have tried not to think about it but the thought creeps me out. Adam & I started our morning with a Chick-fil-A breakfast (on the run) so my day got off to a great start needless to say. We arrived at 9:15am for our appointment and I was taken back immediately. I peed in a cup, was weighed (I've gained half a pound so far) and had my blood pressure taken (it was low, which is excellent). Then the waiting began. We waited and waited and waited some more. In fact, we waited in the patient room for 45 minutes! Our nerves were on edge because Adam had to be back at work at a certain time and we hadn't even done the ultrasound or bloodwork (which is primarily why Adam was there). I laid down on the table while Adam played a game on his phone. We were getting impatient.
Turned out one of the nurses had to leave early and the doctor I was seeing had to scramble to pick up the extra patients. So in the meantime a midwife came to our rescue and began the process. Then the torture got worse. She was conducting the ultrasound and could not find the baby's heartbeat. She used 2 different machines and nothing! You can imagine how nervous we were, but she assured me that this happens frequently. She asked if my uterus tilts back (hugh??) which would affect where the baby was hiding. After turning to plan B she gave me a pelvic exam and did confirm that my uterus does tilt back. Ok, good to know I guess.
Then I had to move rooms, dressing and then undressing again, to use different equipment to find the baby. The midwife said I have a stubborn baby (Hmmm, I wonder who it gets that from?). But after using different equipment we were finally able to see the baby on the screen. It even wiggled around! Then the real doctor came in to try to get a stable and better picture on the screen, which she did. We saw the heart beating on the screen, but we didn't actually hear it. It's amazing how much bigger and more defined the photo is. We can clearly see the head and eyes. Adam thinks it looks like pig with a snout. The head is literally half the size of it's body! I think it looks like an alien. But, whew! What a relief. Little buggar! Adam teases that as soon as the baby's born, it's getting 2 spankings...one for making mommy sick and the other for pulling this stunt. Just kidding, of course.
Then the real torture began, the blood work. I was first sat in a chair and I immediately told the lady that I will absolutely not let her come near my arms to draw blood. I have a phobia involving this area. I asked that she take it in my hand. This was a process because my hands were cold and she could not get a good vein. I had to squeeze this ball and hold my hands a certain way. She tried one, then the other, and no vein. Then she said I need to lie down in a room and off we were again to another room. I laid on the table and she finally was able to make it work with my right hand. Thank God!!! It was uncomfortable but I made it through. What an ordeal!
But all in all, the most important thing is this cute little baby that's already giving us fits. I've been looking at the ultrasound photo all day and imagining how our lives will change in several months. I can't wait to meet him/her!
No comments:
Post a Comment