Thursday, January 29, 2009

2 More Updates

Ok, so if you haven't noticed, I'm all about pregnancy/baby now, but that is to be expected I suppose. My doctor called me today to inform me of 2 abnormalities in my bloodwork. She said it was nothing to be concerned with at this point, but the more I learn about these two issues, the more frightened I become. I know I need to trust God though it, and honestly I'm not too surprised that potential problems have come our way again. It's another opportunity to see God work.

The 2 issues...

1. Low Platelet Count
Basically, my blood doesn't clot like it should. It can be caused by an immune system malfunction. Hmmm...I've always felt like my immune system isn't quite strong enough because I'm often sick and it generally takes me a while to recover. Signs/symptoms are bruising easily, gum & nose bleeding, and prolonged bleeding from cuts (all of which are true in my case). My doctor said this could be important for epidural purposes when I am in labor. I may also require a steriod injection at some point if it doesn't improve. And it will mean that they will be drawing more blood from me to monitor the platelet count (oh joy).

2. Group Beta Strep
I am a carrier of this type of bacteria. It can pose risks at birth, but my doctor said that they will be giving me an antibiotic during delivery so the bacteria won't pass to the baby. It shouldn't be a problem unless by some chance the baby contracts this bacteria. I'm not even going to think about that.

The crazy thing is that there is nothing I have done to cause these things and nothing I can do to improve these things. Sounds like I will have to rely completely on God because it's out of my control! Imagine that. Please pray that these 2 things do not cause any problems and for a safe arrival of our baby! We know that we have a HUGE support system behind us. Lots of people are praying fervently for this baby. We SO appreciate the support. Thank you!

3 comments:

Kelley said...

You guys are included in our nightly prayers. Everything will go smoothly, God's taking care of it!

Nicole Roberts said...

I was Group B Strep positive as well. All was fine. :)

Jenny said...

I was GBS positive with Audrey's pregnancy and I had a low platelet count. I was really nervous about the whole epidural thing too, but God is in control. Love you guys!