Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My Old Self

Well, today I feel like I'm back to my same old self. I'm aware that this could change at any moment, but for the time being I'm feeling fine. No more pain. I went back to work yesterday, as did Adam. He had more of a transition to make I think because he hasn't darkened the door of his office in almost 2 weeks. He hasn't seen anyone, and his office is much larger than mine so he had tons of people coming up to him yesterday & today asking him questions and wanting details, etc. Luckily, I haven't had to discuss details in awhile, only how I'm feeling from time to time. And my boss even made me leave early yesterday so I didn't overdo it. He tried for a couple hours before I actually made the move and left, but it's nice to know he cares and is looking out for me.

I've been reflecting today on the things that have made me smile lately. Many things and many people have helped make this difficult time bearable...

Adam
I'm so glad Adam is my husband and I couldn't ask for a better helper. He has been there to take care of me physically. He took charge of getting me everything I need, running errands, tidying up the house, taking care of the cats, making calls, buying groceries, making food trips to satisfy my every taste, and the list goes on. We have had fun watching movies, playing games and just being together. He has listened to me and vented with me. He has prayed for me and us and our family that will one day be. He can relate to me and only the 2 of us truly "get" our situation. Only we know how much starting a family means to us. Adam is "quite a fellow," as my Aunt Gail puts it :)

Daisy & Baloo
My "babies." Never underestimate the healing power of a pet. Our cats Daisy & Boo are instant mood lifters. They can make us laugh or smile in an instant. If you've ever met Daisy, you probably know that she has many human-like qualities. She loves to be held just like a baby, cradled in your arms or held upright near your shoulder. When we eat dinner at the table, she takes a seat on one of the unoccupied chairs, every time. She just does the cutest things! Even her super high-pitched voice is adorable. Boo is a mama's boy. Adam admits that he loves his mommy (me!) best. He cuddles with me, and usually only me. It makes me smile seeing how much Daisy & Boo get along and how they love each other. The perfect pair. They cuddle with each other and lick each other. If I've had a long or hard day, I just need a Daisy or Baloo fix and I'm much better.

Family & Friends
What a large support system we have! We honestly didn't realize how much we were cared for until this experience. There is always someone to call or see if we need love, encouragement, support, a listener, food or even just to vent. In the very beginning, it helped me to talk about what happened. I can't even remember how much our phone rang when the news spread. People were showing up with food at our door and just pouring out their love. People were praying for us around the clock. People were grieving with us. Cards are still flooding through the mail. How awesome!

God Almighty
Last, but certainly not least, it's helped the most to know and believe God's promises as stated in His Word. I believe there is a reason for this tragedy, even if it's hard to get our head around, that's intended for our good...

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
-Jeremiah 29:11

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."
-Proverbs 3:5-6

"We rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perserverance; perserverance, character; and character, hope."
-Romans 5:3-4

"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you."
-Jeremiah 1:5

Praise God we are able to press on...

No comments: